Friday, October 19, 2012

CGC Class and a Reading Goal


            So after putting Grace and myself through obedience lessons, I decided to enroll her in a class to prepare her to take the American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen test. The Canine Good Citizen certification, simply put, proves that a dog is well-behaved according to the A.K.C.
            While being a great accomplishment for a dog, the CGC certification is also a bonus for renters because it shows landlords their dog is well-behaved. I figured having Grace take the test would be a good for when I eventually move out and have to rent a place.
            We went to the first class on Wednesday night. I figured that there would be a variety of breeds in the class, but I was wrong. Of the six dogs there, Grace was the only non-German Shepherd Dog. She was also the smallest dog. I think the next biggest one weighed at least twice what she does.
            I learned a lot during the class. I learned that Grace is capable of more than I thought. She sat next to me while I shook the hands of other owners whose dogs were by their side. She walked passed German Shepherds without turning her nose to sniff them. She even willingly laid butt-to-butt with the biggest Shepherd in the class. She showed me that she can pass the CGC test so long as I put the work into it with her.
            I also realized how much I love German Shepherds. They’re such big, beautiful dogs that have an amazing grace and presence about them. And I loved watching how the dogs would look up at their owners with such attention and intelligence. Grace looks at me like that, yes, but I miss having a big dog.
            Grace and I have three more classes between now and the test at the beginning of December. We have a lot of work ahead of us. I’m taking her to soccer games tomorrow morning, and I may brave the mayhem that is Luddam’s Ford on Sunday mornings when there are plenty of dogs off-leash. I have to keep reminding myself that challenges are good: if Grace didn’t make mistakes, I wouldn’t have the opportunities to teach her.
            Now to change topics, I’ve noticed that I haven’t read nearly as many books as I’d have liked to since I graduated. I always promised myself that I’d read a ton after graduation, but, like with writing, I always seem to find something else to do.
            This is a bit of an issue since I bought a signed copy of the newest book in one of my favorite series in August, and I promised myself I’d read it once I reread the series. Two months later, and I haven’t gotten through half the series. I’ve actually been working on one book for a month. I’m tired of seeing that brand new book sitting on my shelf, unread.
            I have therefore decided on a reading goal: one book a week. I’m sure I could read more than one a week, but I figure reaching an easier goal is better than missing the mark completely. So I’ll start with one book a week, and I’ll go from there.

Book of the Week: O Jerusalem by Laurie R. King
Next Week’s Book: Justice Hall by Laurie R. King

No comments:

Post a Comment